Thursday, October 2, 2008

Psycho Mom




All our games were far enough apart today that I was able to go to each one. Adam was out of town so I was on my own but luckily I was able to get each of them to their games. Adam and I have realized how important it is to have good friends on the kids teams to help us get the kids where they need to be. It's like tag team.

Allie lost her game, some tough girls- really physical. Allie played hard. Chase lost his game too but Chase had a sack- except the flag didn't come out- we really think the league needs to do something about this. They have to clip off the ends of the belts otherwise they get confused with the flags. They are supposed to keep them tucked in but they come out. We watched the video a few times and Chase had 2 hand on it for a while but it didn't come out- we as parents think it really was the belt. I think ASA may get tired of my suggestions for them especially when I refer to how Frisco does things. Chase was also a team captain- you can see him going out for the toss. He is number 6.

Jake had an exciting game. The team they played-the Dolphins were the Champions last year. We were ahead 13-0 with 2 minutes into the 4th quarter. Jake had a TD and extra point. These are Jake's own words of what happened next

I was doing a sweep, didn't see the guy behind me and when he tackled me I fell with my fingers back. He didn't get up- and didn't get up. When he did he was holding his hand and crying. The coaches are trying to help him, thinking it was a stinger or something. Adam calls me wants to know the score and I tell him what happened. By now the Dolphins have scored twice and tied it up 13-13. Adam says tell him to get tough and get out there. So being the psycho mom that I am, I go grab the teams first aid kit, get tape and start taping his hand. With about 2 minutes left I tell the coach he's okay so they send him back out there, he is still crying but I say "BE TOUGH AND GET OUT THERE". When the game ends it is tied so we are going into overtime. When the boys come off the field a few boys are crying, the other team is much bigger than us and really beating us up. Anyway we won- 20-19. They didn't get their extra point. They were so excited-we were so excited. One of Jakes friends got hit really hard right after Jake got hurt. He is a real tough kid but he was pretty upset. He went back in too. After the game he was still crying and his mom thought he had gotten hit again. When she realized that he had not that he was still hurting from the earlier hit, she said "Why did you go back in if you were still hurt?" He said " I couldn't leave Jake in there alone" ( I really wish that Jake would have had that attitude earlier when he got hurt).I love how football really teaches boys how to work hard and help each other . I know this sound really silly but I really think it (sports as a whole) teach kids some important lessons.

We go the Dr on Sunday (he opens his clinic on Sunday Mornings form 9-10 to x-ray and cast kids that got hurt on Saturday in FB) and Jake does have a hairline in his hand. We get it casted but he can still play so we are real happy. This is the doctor who helped Jake last year when he broke his arm. I love this Doctor- he has 4 boys and played FB in college. He doesn't make you feel crazy for letting your kids play contact sports. This clinic he does on Sunday for FB kids is free of charge. GREAT!


Monday when it was time for practice Jake was saying he didn't want to go that it hurt still. Being the psycho mom I am I get the bubble wrap (to cover his cast so it doesn't hurt others) and tape and say "get in the car we are going". I was a little worried that it might bother him so I stayed to watch for a while- he was fine. Again, another lesson learned that sometimes you just have to toughen up and be strong. Last night he didn't even say anything about it hurting.

I love Sarah Palin! In high school they said she had the nickname Baracuda. She is having to be a baracuda and fight right now. She said when asked about being an underdog that it means you just have to FIGHT HARDER! GO SARAH!

6 comments:

Pam And Scott said...

Boy are you a true HARTLEY!! My husband says I have no tolorance for a hurt child. I tell them to suck it up get back on the field! When my little ones are hurt I kiss it and say don't be a bawl baby be tough. My husband tells me I'm to hard on them. I tell him I'm just a Hartley and Hartley's are tough so be quiet. I feel bad though, just like you when they really are hurt.

GO SARAH!

Teresa said...

Justin had a hurt foot earlier this football season and I made him play until the Doctor said he needed to take it easy for a few days. Ryan and I always tell him to quit complaining a get back out there.

Let me know your e-mail address and I will give you permission to read our blog. My address is tegmunn@hotmail.com

hayleyharts said...

You are a baracuda..poor jake..his mother makes him wear bubble wrap!!

Jules said...

You are seriously psycho. I take any excuse I can to get out of football practice. I guess that's why Jake is the star of your team and Brock is not. You crack me up.

Jess said...

I'm having visions of this happening with Court very soon, I can see Jared calling me and telling me to tell Court to get tough and get back out there!!! Court is also doing flag this year. I hope he weighs enough next year to do tackle.

Shawn and Shantae Yeats said...

Yep my mom is definately the same way!! Good for Jake, tell him I'm proud of him!