Friday, April 24, 2009

I like Flowers







Nielie has managed to pick lots of flowers around the yard lately. When I tell her not to, she says "I like flowers" and continues to pick them. The brown stuff by her mouth is some mulch she thought she might like. She is having so much fun outside these day. They are all so filthy at the end of the day. It stays light till about 8 so we have to remember to go inside at night. Evie is great at finding geckos. We see them daily. One she recognizes as the one whose tail she pulled off. She loves finding rolly pollies and geckos. Kite day at school was canceled so we came home and flew them in the front yard. It was great! I don't have a picture of it but Nielie was so cute running with her kite in the front yard. By the time I thought to go get the camera she was done. But she kept it up for quite awhile with some help from Allie. Chase and Jake really enjoyed it too. I loved the fact that we didn't have to go somewhere to fly a kite.
Last night I was watering the flowers and Nielie was helping me. As I was watering I would pull out a weed I would see every now and then. She was really watching me because right after I would pull a weed out she would bend down and pick up some mulch. I think she thought I was just picking up mulch. She did it about 5 times.
I had forgotten till we moved out here how much I like being outside and how good it is for me. I had also forgotten this lesson I had thought about weeds when I spent so many summer hours hoeing or spraying weeds. I was reminded of it again last night. This is the analogy- Weeds are so much like sin, they are bad,take over the good stuff, can make things really look ugly and they make me unhappy. But just like sin, even the small ones need to be taken care correctly or they get out of control, their seeds spread, and more keep poppy up. Last week I spent way too many hours outside working on our yard, getting weeds out, planting, fertilizing, all the stuff it needed. Well the weeds that I didn't take care of properly- get the whole root out are already back this week, even all the mulch I put on top them didn't cover them up for long. They are back and to make sure they stay gone I need to get the whole root out. But the wonderful thing is that they can be taken care of, we can get the whole root out even if it takes a hoe or a pick we can get the weed out of our gardens. I added to it this time also that it takes constant effort to keep them out because new ones pop up and it is much easier to take care of them when they are tiny and are easily pulled out. I love being outside and seeing things grow and get green.
( Just so you know the kite picture was taken about 3 weeks ago- the front yard looks much green now after lots of fertilizer and water.)

3 comments:

The Boyos said...

That was the best story/analogy. I really liked it. I have thought about it all day. I am going to print it off and keep it!

Pam And Scott said...

Great story!! Love the kids, can't believe how much they are growing up!!

Unknown said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. In addition to the photos of kids, some of us who'll probably never see where you live would like to see photos of your home and the area you live in....
I'm always telling stoney & Weston's kids to not pick grandma's flowers, too. How can you get mad when they say "for you, grandma!" Aunt Barbara